Monday, September 22, 2008

Suprise Visitor at Church Yesterday!

Well, here in the Kirtland Ward of our church we tend to get a lot of visitors but yesterday we had one who is a prominent member, from Salt Lake City, but I think she was wanting to be 'low profile' or something! Plus she seemed in a very big hurry to leave right after Sacrament Meeting. My first thought was perhaps she had to catch a flight, but I found out she spoke at a Multi-Stake Single Adult Fireside in Pittsburgh, PA. She was probably needing to get on the road, it's a few hours from here. Anyway, it was our Relief Society General President, Julie B. Beck! I have been trying IN VAIN to put a picture of her here, but each time I try, it comes out just garbled symbols, letters & numbers. Oh well.... don't know what I did wrong!

I'm a big fan of hers and just loved the talks she gave last year at the Women's Broadcast (which is coming up on Saturday again!!) and in the October General Conference. I really admire her guts to say the things she did--which, by the way, were right on! I totally support her remarks on motherhood and glad we have a leader who can 'stand strong and immovable'for that which is right,as she said in her first address in September. I know there are some who criticized her and I feel sorry for those who did. I came away feeling encouraged and more hopeful to continue enduring the trials of motherhood and life in general and very impressed with her.

So, having said all that... I HAD to talk to her--which was really brief, since she was in a hurry to exit the building. I caught her on her way out of the chapel and asked her if she was (in fact) Sis. Beck (since she has a new hair style) and I wanted to make sure it wasn't just my wishful thinking that it was her! She smiled and hesitantly said "Yes." I already had my hand on her shoulder--my way of finally getting her attention--and so I put my arm around her a little and told her that I wanted her to know that I just loved her talks last year in both those meetings. I also told her how I'd used them in a Relief Society lesson a few months ago. Then I added that I was so glad she was our president. To which she smiled and replied, "Thank you for telling me!" And then she was gone.

I have wanted to tell her since hearing those talks, how much I appreciated her, and support her as our president. I'm thrilled I actually got the chance--though it was briefer than I'd hoped! LOL

I'm really looking forward to the Women's Broadcast coming up on Saturday--I love it every year!

Anyway, I just wanted to share that here.

As a post script... Philip is slowly recovering from his wisdom teeth removal--much harder than most as he ended up with an infection! I'll be glad when he's all better! He's rather cranky!!!

1 comment:

The Damsel In Dis Dress said...

Hi Sherryl! I like your blog. I did see this story on IW (you may be surprised to know I am there, reading, since I rarely say anything).

Yes, you're right...this is a second grandson on the way. I'm pretty excited! Yay!